Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Antique Shops in the Athens Flea Market

Ever wonder what a European antique store looks like? Frankly, I never had thought about it, until we stumbled upon about 8-10 antique vendors in the Athen Flea Market. When I attempted to converse with one of the vendors (a younger guy), he said their furniture comes from Europe, that is why we don't see similar stuff in the US. OK, but it was still cool. Actually, it was pretty amazing, despite the vendor's apathy towards us tourist-types.




It seemed to be a 'man-zone,' as I didn't seem many women strolling around this area - only one was a vendor (with her husband, I'm assuming). Culturally interesting, for sure.





The displayed brass statues were incredible (a particular weakness of mine);  upon inquiring price on one that featured two Greek costumed dancers fanning fancy skirts, I was told 650 euros. Wow! That's a pretty pricey statue to be casually placing it among other junky stuff, and then hanging a pair of cheap binos on it! It was a great statue, though... (I didn't snap a pic cuz we were already being eyed by every antique vendor within earshot... what a bunch of grumpy, old men.)









its all the old light fixtures I couldn't get over - incredible, like out of antique hotels and such; every shop had many of them!

And now, for something completely different:


these beautiful strawberries were not from California, but the Pelopennes -
which means that they probably actually taste like strawberries, not water

and this sweet little iris was not there yesterday...this is along our walk to and from school
Sunnier weather is on its way, I'm sure of it!

1 comment:

Ari C'rona said...

That was a cool stroll through the antiques! I see a pendant lamp that would look cool in my bathroom... I like the rather round man and woman brass statue! haha!