Sunday, February 1, 2015

Our Favorite Sunday Stroll

past the tavernas overlooking the Ancient Agora (marketplace) and the Arcropolis in the distance

forever amazed at the random ruins laying about

through the myriad of vendors and shoppers

and then to stroll around the Acropolis, enjoying the street musicians and the beautiful homes along the way

from the front of the little church nestled among the houses

the view down one of the side streets
I have been wondering about vendors I have seen selling some sort of hot beverage, served in a rather fancy urn with multiple spigots. Today, I asked one of them and we bought a small sample of what he called a 'hot drink.' It is called salepi, a hot, thick drink made by boiling the powdered root of orchids.  It was thick, and yes, hot...and very sweet. He added cinnamon to ours, but commented that he likes ginger in his, as well. He said it is very good for a sore throat, and for stomach ailments. I liked it, although it was rather gelatinous in consistency. Interesting stuff! Below are a couple of images I found online that give you an idea of salepi.



1 comment:

Ari C'rona said...

I find myself studying the people - so many people strolling. The drink sounds yummy!