Saturday, February 7, 2015

On Chuck's Camera: The Acropolis


One major hindrance of going to these fabulously ancient sites is that it is oh-so-difficult to put them into context, especially amid hoards of tour bus occupants. I actually saw more people taking selfies than photographing the ruins. I suppose one could philosophize on that for a moment, but I won't digress. Even with my studies, it was extremely difficult for me to get a feel for what the ancients felt when they came up to the Acropolis.


Part of the dilemma is that what you are looking at is so immense! How did they build those amazing structures? How long did it take? Who actually did the labor? One could spend a long time studying these things and I'm afraid that you still wouldn't truly be able to feel what it felt like in their time.

trying to figure out what the heck we were looking at!

oh my. well, I am fifty, after all. *grimace*

photos just can't capture the immense-ness of these creations

it is interesting to see how they reconstruct missing pieces

a marble door - those must be some kind of hinges!




whoa! the wind was really blowing!

looking down always makes Chuck's toes tingle...





The lions head was a drain-spout and there were sculptures all along the (front) pediment (you can see a horse head remaining). There was artwork all the way around as well, as you can see. All of this was brightly painted. Yeah...that always kinda twists my brain, too!



Can you imagine how busy it is in the "tourist season"? Just think...all these people were caught up there in a torrential downpour with no place to get out of it. At least it didn't last more than a half an hour...

No comments: