Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Real Marketplace

I felt like we stepped through a stargate into an earlier century...much earlier.
It was in several sections - one was the fish market, another the meat market,
and then surrounding shops featured any kind of nuts you could want and spice shops.
Truly, this was like a market not only a few hundred years ago,
but something like what you would find in ancient times, as well.

Chuck took most of these pics - I was pretty overwhelmed!

I am sure they don't expect 'tourists' to come wandering through with their cameras


some of the freshest fish and meat I have ever seen - for real

this place was amazing...not only was their all kinds of seafood available, but every so often the fish monger would holler out some attribute of his products that surely draw you to his display (make me jump every time!)

gorgeous, isn't it?

any kind of spice and specialty tea - and some you can't get in the states

those are the meatiest chickens ever!
dangit...we didn't get pics of the giant pig heads hanging on display, or the very clean pig-hooves for sale;
there was also whole young lambs skinned and ready for purchase


remember those rubber chickens in the party-gag stores? I think they got the idea from Athens...

just be thankful you can't smell it...or the fish market, either :-P

2 comments:

Ari C'rona said...

That marketplace is amazing! It makes Pike Place look like, well, I don't know, not real? I thought about the smell before I read that part. And, I'm okay with you not posting pics of the pig heads and clean feet... :P

No wonder the food is better there. No mass production from what I could tell. The nuts and dried fruit reminded me of Israel and Tu b'shvat.

Kristine Boydstun said...

This is what I really want to see! We have shown videos of these to our students when teaching about Greece and Rome. This is so fascinating! Thanks for posting these pics.