Saturday, January 24, 2015

Cheese, Wine, and the Grocery Store

Maybe it is the air, or perhaps because we are hoofin' it everywhere and getting adequate exercise (!!), but everything tastes better here! At home we often have cheese and wine as an evening 'snack' (instead of a full evening meal), but even simple cheese and wine here in Athens is a delight to the senses. We have been shopping at the biggest local grocery store (Alpha-Beta) and picked up what looked easy - sliced cheese, a few apples, some locally produced wine. I cannot begin to tell you how fantastic this is. Add some dried fruit or nuts, and it is heavenly. 

somehow cheese and wine makes me feel so much better - I think it must be good for the soul

Actually, shopping at the grocery store has been interesting. Some products we recognize from the US, but most not. Which is fine, except that a lot of times we cannot figure out what the product is! We must have looked quite silly trying to find the salt and pepper on the spice aisle earlier today. By the produce, there was an end-cap set up with cheese and sausage. I told Chuck that it must be popular cheese or else they wouldn't have put it as featured items. As we were pondering the display, and trying to read the labels, a nice woman approached, listened to our conversation a bit, then told us that both the cheeses featured were very good. Even though she only spoke a little English, she was so kind to try to help us out! We bought some to try. Later, when we got in line to pay, the woman in front of me started talking to me a mile a minute in Greek - I could figure out that she was telling me to take our few items to the cashier in the quick checkout lane, since she had a quite a lot of items in her basket. After all her explaining, all I could say was a timid, "OK..." She chuckled and waved us down to the quick-check. I must look like I need help! Haha!

Y'know, we have had nothing but positive interactions with the Athenians. When they are walking on the street they are not smiley and mostly keep to themselves, intent on their destination. But, if you approach them, or look like you need help, they are very willing to help you. So very kind, at least the ones we have talked to. I just feel bad that I don't feel more comfortable with the language to say thank you adequately. I hope they know how appreciative we are of their courtesy and help.

Anyway, here are two of the wines we have tried - very, very good. We are scheduled to take a winery tour next Friday, which should be interesting. Included will be a tour of the distillery, wine tasting, and an opportunity to buy local wine at good prices. Can't wait!

delicious local wine, and it wasn't expensive

2 comments:

Mole said...

Food and drink on the Mediterranean...jealous.

GreenJelloLand said...

I really liked Athens, and wish I could have spent more time there. And for as pricey as food can get in Europe, I was surprised at how inexpensive wines were.