Saturday, January 24, 2015

An Adventure in Cooking

I knew it would happen eventually. Today was the day- we had to cook.

Going out to a restaurant just doesn't seen as easy as in the states. Restaurant eating here in Greece is more of an event, it would seem, rather than just mundane necessity. We could grab something from a little eatery/shop, I suppose - some grilled meat something with a wheat something. But, for me, it is kinda like being on a constant obstacle course. The language, reading the menu, understanding what ingredients are in the food choices, the money...ugh. I know this will get easier, but for now each day is an adventure.
Yesterday we bought items at the farmer's market so we could make some breakfast. Now to make that happen! The kitchen is super cute but small, the pans are not non-stick (which I haven't cooked without for years), limited cooking tools and a strange stove. No cutting boards, either - the countertops and sink is made of marble. (Yep, the kind of marble they use for fancy buildings and statues.) There was a lot of laughing while we tried to figure things out! But, we managed to fry some potatoes and scramble some of the fresh eggs we got yesterday.


check out the teeny-tiny element in the upper right...!!??

found this in the cabinet- any guesses what it might be? We have no idea...

the eggs were extremely vivid in color - they look almost greenish in the photo, but they tasted good

Even though we have no salt, pepper, or spices, our eggs and potatoes turned out pretty well. It will take quite a bit of scrubbing to clean the pan, however (my dad used to call that elbow-grease!). Thankfully, we had purchased a little bottle of Crystal pepper sauce at the Louisiana airport - it was a nice way to spice this dish up. We will be purchasing some essentials at the grocery store this weekend: salt, pepper, sugar, ziploc bags, foil, and ketchup.

I wonder how those students we saw purchasing an eggplant at the farmer's market are doing with their cooking adventure...

2 comments:

Mole said...

Ah! The Crystal pepper made it there unbroken! Yay!

That means it will be safe to send some home with you in the spring!

Bethany Lee said...

The unknown leaves in the plastic container might be Greek Mountain Tea which offers amazing immune system benefits. Unfortunately, I can't write the Greek characters on my keyboard. I think it's pronounced Chai Boynoy? I might actually ask a favor of you. I purchased a bag of it for a song at a grocery store in Athens in November not knowing what it was. I LOVE it & am quickly running out. Now I'm wishing I'd purchased a bunch of it. If you're up for an experience at a Greek post office I might have you send me some. ;) I'm in an EU country so it would be inexpensive to mail. :)