Thursday, March 5, 2015

Temperature Reading: Approaching Mid-Terms

we found a church that was not Orthodox in the neighborhood bordering the Plaka
As I face a walk-about project and oral presentation in Greek class, a paper in Philosophy, and exams in both Orthodox and Mythology class, I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Not to mention CYA decided to have our 'make-up' day this week to compensate for our having Clean Monday off. Seriously, right before mid-terms?

I'm not meaning to complain, but I am not used to carrying four classes in a term - I am older, y'know.


We are venturing further afield and considering monthly train/public transport passes. I seem to have more need to ride the train, which makes me a little uncomfortable. Not being from a downtown area, I am definitely more comfortable just getting in my car and driving where I want to go. The students from New York and other big cities have no problems hopping the train, tram, or bus (or even taxi) to get where they want to go. CYA expects the students to be flexible and adventurous. I guess I am not as flexible as those younger than myself. I am not sure why.


I knew this trip was going to be a challenge, and I have to say that I am glad we are at the half-way point. I think I understand now why Dr. Finitsis would have rather me go on the month-long J-Term Greece trip than stay for the semester. I am so glad I didn't do both! Doing both would have been challenging, in different ways, but the J-Term probably felt more like a month-long tour than actually living in Greece. Living here for a term is being treated as a tourist when we are really not (this is not a small thing, I'm afraid). We deal with the language barrier and cultural differences every day, trying to make things work. Add to that the pressure cooker that is taking university classes...

Challenges. New environments. Trying to adapt to the culture daily.

Thank G-d for coffee and the internet.
And Chuck. I thank G-d for Chuck- everyday.

No comments: