Friday, May 15, 2015

Time to Say Goodbye


I hate goodbyes.

I hate them so much that I didn't attend the farewell dinner - it just is too much for me. I have a hard time with transitions, anyway...but saying goodbye knowing I will never be in this place again with these beautiful souls is emotional overload. I will miss so much.

I will miss strolling Thissio and looking for my favorite wheelchair buddy. I will miss people watching, the tourists, and shopping handmade treasures. I will miss feeding the taverna cats and the special treat at the end of the meal. I will miss the honey, the wine, and the incredible olive oil...and, of course, the lamb.

I will miss my favorite teacher, Despina, and I will miss my fellow students. I will miss the constant presence of ancient ruins and the chaos of broken sidewalks, taxis and motorcycles. I will miss the opportunity to just go sit in an incense-tinged church and walk through the National Gardens with my love. I will miss hearing the buskers along Ermou, and the sweet, welcoming smile of the waitress at Poco Poco. I will miss the Greek people - both the strangers on the street and the ones we have befriended. I will miss the clang of the church bells and the wave of the crane operator across the street. I will miss breakfast on the balcony in the morning sunshine.

The only one I have really said goodbye to has been Emma, but only because she was leaving this morning for an early flight. But, just because I don't have the strength to say goodbye doesn't mean I don't care. I care deeply and will miss all who have come across my path during this adventure in Greece. They will never know how much.

I hate goodbyes. Truly.
But I will always treasure all that I have seen, heard, learned, 
experienced, and embraced while here in beautiful and amazing Greece. 

Until we meet again.

1 comment:

Ari C'rona said...

I'm so glad you've recorded so many memories here, though I know you carry far more in your heart. Looking forward to 'hello' very soon, my dear friend. *hugs*