Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Wednesday Before Easter

from Chuck's sketchbook - St Spyridon Church, Pangrati

ADDENDUM
I had no intentions of attending another service. That was, however, prior to heading toward St Spyridon to spy the pillar saints (now that I knew where they were!). As we entered, I immediately knew we walked into something about to happen. The Royal Doors of the iconostasis were open, all the lights were lit, and people were actually filling up the seats. I turned to the man who is usually by candles, and he recognized me. I looked at my watch, and he said service was starting at half-past (in Greek, of course) – that was in five minutes, so Chuck and I took a seat among others who were not observing the tradition of separation of men and woman.
More and more people came in and filled up the seats. As we waited, I could feel anticipation in the air. There were people who had brought their own portable stools sitting along the banister in the front of the church, and one woman had positioned her young daughter as close as possible to where the priests were going to be conducting the service. Everyone was waiting patiently for the service to start. All stood as the church bells rang, and we joined them.
As service commenced, I looked around to see who was attending. Still more were arriving and moving about lighting candles and kissing icons as the priests came forward to a prepared table with candles and oil already in place. From my reckoning, about eighty percent attending were over the age of fifty, but mostly older. There were a few moms with their children, and I even saw a woman try to squeeze in a baby in a stroller. As I discretely took a look behind us, there was standing room only – the place was packed! I nudged Chuck to notice how full the church had become, and he suggested we give up our seats for those more elderly, and we moved to the back with those standing.
The three priests took turns with the liturgical duties, while another was adding his voice from the behind the iconostasis. More and more arrived, even as the service continued. No one left, and no one was distracted – all were very much attentive to what was happening at the front of the church. At the conclusion of the service, the priest gave what seemed to be directions to the congregation about whatever they were about to do. People who were seated got up and joined the ones standing as they all moved en masse towards the front of the church. I couldn’t see what was happening, and was feeling quite claustrophobic, so we made our way out the door (but not without a quick peek at the pillar saints on either side). Stepping out into the sunlight and still more people, I could see one of the priests filling bowls of oil to set on tables on either side of the entrance doors. In the crowd I suddenly recognized a friendly face– it was Iota from CYA! She smiled her warm, friendly smile as she saw me and immediately took a cotton swab from the table, dipped it in oil and anointed me with the blessed oil. Chuck was behind me, and he was anointed next. I thanked her profusely and she looked so very pleased – she literally beamed. I was very pleased, as well, to be able to participate in the service in that way.

In considering all the people coming for service, I wondered if I should reconsider my earlier thoughts about congregational participation. So many thought it a priority to attend this service, even though there was no Eucharist included in the service. It was not a long service, and throughout people stood, sat, and made the sign of the cross at specific times. I thought I heard a couple of men in the congregation saying some of the prayers under their breath, but I couldn’t be sure. (There was a funny man in front of us sitting with his wife who really didn’t want to take his hat off when he stood, but his dutiful wife would gently remove it every time he stood – it was quite comical.) I witnessed many repeatedly making the sign of the cross, and also a woman closing her eyes while deeply involved in the prayers being said by the priests. So, was this participation? I suppose some would say yes – perhaps this is a service where they feel they participate by being blessed (anointed) by a priest - but I still have to ask if they were allowed to do more, would they? I believe my answer came with my friend Iota. She was very eager to anoint us, to facilitate us sharing in the service in a small way. Would more of the ones who had come feel the same way? The picture in my mind will always be of those crowded against the banister as close to the altar as they could get, all of them as eager as that young girl in the front, all of them watching the priests pray. 


No comments: