Monday, April 27, 2015

The Deserted Flea Market

A

Above is a photo I took of the Athens Flea Market right off of Monastiraki Square back in January when we were first here in Athens. Below are pics snapped of the amazingly empty Flea Market when all the shops are closed - usually late Sunday evenings. If I remember correctly, these were taken on Easter Sunday. Yeah...all the shops were closed. 



people like to walk through the Flea Market when it is clossed...as you can see,
there is artwork that you can only appreciate when the doors are closed



this is looking from inside the Market out onto Monastiraki Square - a lot of the
tavernas and cafes were open, even on Easter. Tourist business is always worthwhile.


And, this was a shot of Ermou Street - the major shopping street. Usually, it is so crowded you can hardly walk
without either getting bumped or being in someone's way. The city is eerily peaceful when the streets are mostly deserted.

2 comments:

Ari C'rona said...

So strange to see it empty after all the people pics you've posted!

Gloria Rivera said...

I'm taking a trip to Athens in June. Thank you so much for the pictures. I hope I can find a treasure when I am there. Do you think the flea market men were kidding when they claimed the statue was 650 euro? Or. . . do you think they were pricing it high in hopes that you would talk them down? I wish I knew the culture.